Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pilgrimage to Rochester



As many of you know, I spent my college days at the Eastman School of Music where I studied with K. David Van Hoesen.

Since graduating, I've made several trips back to Rochester to play for him and receive feedback on my playing.  Maintaining a relationship with your primary teacher after graduation is important and helpful in many ways.

That person can write recommendation letters for you when you apply for positions, be a reference and a good sounding board for your playing as well as give advice on your career.

David Van Hoesen has been all these things for me. In addition, I know from personal experience that it's very rewarding for a teacher to see how former students are doing long after they've graduated. 

I have played audition excerpt lists for him prior to auditions on many occasions. During one visit I interviewed him for an article published in the Double Reed Magazine. Here is the article in case you would like to read it.

And here's an interview of me done by Carol Cope Lowe about Van Hoesen.

This time I traveled with Jonathan Sherwin and his wife, Sally. At the Van Hoesens we were joined by Rochester Philharmonic bassoonist, Martha Sholl for quartets.  Yes, David Van Hoesen is still making reeds and playing at age 86!



Another former student, Ann Davis stopped by to say hello, too.


We spent the better part of the afternoon playing and talking.  It was really nice to get caught up.


No comments:

Post a Comment