Saturday, January 30, 2016

Recitals!

I'm keeping quite busy on this sabbatical! Tonight I play a recital in the beautiful Harkness Chapel on the Case Western Reserve University campus.

Joining me will be my usual partner in crime, Randall Fusco at the piano. 

I will repeat the program (minus the Bach, plus the Mignone Duo with Albie Micklich) at Arizona State University this Tuesday. The recital will be webcast via YouTube (5:00 EST)




PROGRAM

Viktor Kuprevich, Andante and Scherzo                                                                                                                                
Glinka Sonata (Allegro)
                                    
Glazunov Chant du Ménestrel, Op. 71
                                                                                                                                       
Chopin Etude, Op.25, No.7  arr. by Glazunov
                                                                                                                                       
Tchaikovsky "Kuda, kuda" from Eugene Onegin, arr. by Stees
                                                                                                                                        
Tchaikovsky Melodie, arr. by Stees
                                                                                                                                               
Piatigorsky  Russian Dance   arr. by Stees                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
 Intermission


Mignone 6 Valsas from 16 Valsas para Fagote Solo
                                                                                                                                      
Aquela Modinha Que O Villa Não Escreveu
A Boa Páscoa Para Você, Devos
6a Valsa Brasileira
Valse Quase Modinheira
Macunaíma
Pattapiada


Mignone Sonata Para Dois Fagotes          (Albie Micklich, bassoon)
                                                                                                                                      
I. Allegro
II. Modinha - Molto lento
III. Rondo - Chorinho - Allo burlesco

Reis Seresta and Carioquinha                                                                                                                    



The first half of the program consists of short arrangements of Russian pieces for bassoon and piano, some of them my own.

The second half starts with William Waterhouse's arrangement of the Bach a minor flute partita, followed by six of the Mignone Valsas for solo bassoon. I think the juxtaposition of solo Bach and solo Mignone should be interesting. In the Arizona/YouTube recital, I'll swap the Bach out and play the Mignone Duo with Albie.

I'll close with two short pieces by Brazilian composer, Hilda Reis.

The choice of repertoire is a result of collecting and listening I've done over a couple of decades. I discovered some of the Russian pieces I transcribed from listening to a recording by cellist Andres Diaz. 

Pieces by Viktor Kuprevich were given me by a former student, Oleksiy Zakharov. Bassoonist Kathleen Reynolds' recording of the Glinka Viola Sonata inspired me to try it myself.

My history with the Mignone Valsas goes back to 1993, when the trombone professor at MSU brought back a bunch of Brazilian bassoon music for me from one of his trips down there. I struck up a friendship with bassoonist, Elione Alves de Medeiros and sent a graduate student to Rio to study with Noel Devos, the man for whom the Valsas were written.

Bassoonist and publisher, Bruce Gbur sent me copies of the Reis pieces. They are charming!

I hope you can listen!


No comments:

Post a Comment