Sunday, January 23, 2011

Miami Marathon

Next Sunday I'll be running the half marathon in the ING Miami Marathon.  http://www.ingmiamimarathon.com/

This will be the fourth year I've run the race.  For the past two years, my time has been stubbornly stuck at 1:40:10 give or take a second (I'm nothing if not consistent!!).

I've been training for this since Thanksgiving.  That's been hard because of the weather and a very busy schedule, but this year I've done pretty well.

Check out my training plan if you're interested.  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-244-258-6851-0,00.html

The plan combines long runs with speed work that trains your body to sense three different paces; 5k, 10k and half marathon race paces, using the 5k and 10k to build speed.  You train your body mechanics to be most efficient at your goal half marathon pace.

Here's a photo of the shoes I'll wear for the race:


They're Brooks Green Silence.  Fun colors and made from 75% recycled ingredients.  They weigh only 7 oz. each!

The discipline of athletic training has many parallels to the study of music.  More about this in a future post.

The Miami course is absolutely beautiful. It starts in front of the American Airlines Pavilion (where the Heat plays), goes to South Beach over the MacArthur Causeway and through South Beach going back to the mainland via the Venetian Causeway finishing in downtown Miami.

Luckily we have the day off on Sunday, so I'll get a chance to relax, have a great brunch somewhere and enjoy the rest of the day.

1 comment:

  1. NIce shoes! I hope you beat your old time. Sorry I'm no longer in Miami to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete